Lifespan Counseling
Home Page
About Us
Contact Us
Fees and Insurance
What Specific Services Do You Provide?

Individual therapy for Adults

Family therapy

Family Intervention Consultation

Couple Counseling

Adolescent and Child Counseling

Assessments:  ADHD, Anxiety, Co-occuring Disorders, Depression, PTSD/Trauma


What Therapies do you Endorse?

Integrative therapies

Individual Counseling:  Psychodynamic, Cognitive-behavioral, Narrative, Contextual, & Sensorimotor Psychotherapy Integration (SPI); EMDR if appropriate

Group Interactive Therapy:  Psychoeducation, Mindfulness, Process/Discussion, Expressive arts and
Experiential elements 

Expressive Arts (biweekly afternoon of expressive arts activities to "normalize" emotional/mental health in creative community-based setting)

What is Expressive Art Therapy?

Using art or writing to bring out hidden thoughts or conflicts.
What is the difference between counseling children and adolescents?

It begins with the age groups. Infants (or toddlers) 0 - 5 years old. Children are 6 - 11 years old. We then recognize children as adolescents at 12 - 18 years old (their teen years). Because of the age groups, levels of maturity and understanding are different. There are two main reasons for this. The first one is the fact that as people gorw older, they experience and learn about more things. The second is that a person's brain continues to change physically and biologically (especially the frontal lobe area). This puts actual restraints while continuing its growth on how the brain processes information and a person responds to the stimulus of the world.

What is the difference between family counseling and family intervention?

Family intervention is a gathering or meeting of concerned family members (and sometimes close friends), usually with a counselor, to help another person in dramatic and vital need to change their lifestyle. It can very much be an emergency situation since this time of action is brought forth because a person's actions are endangering their lives and possibly the lives of others.

What is your definition of a couple, how do you define couple counseling, and how do you approach it?

Couples may be married or unmarried. They may be living together or live in seperate residences. They may be of the opposite sex or same sex. A couple is considered such when two people regard each as the significant other in a relationship that stands apart from everyday friendships they have with others.

How does Group Therapy work?

A small group of people gather together and are led by a therapist. They express what they are trying to accomplish and their view of how they are doing. Others may comment and add their points of view. The therapist directs the interaction and follow-throughs. Many times the group will have a common goal they are working on.

What are the differences between a psychiatrist, psychologist, psychotherapist, and social worker?

A psychiatrist is a full medical doctor with special expertise in psychiatry, who can diagnose mental health conditions and prescibe psychotropic medication.

A psychologist completes at least three years post graduate education, an Internship in a clinical setting, and a state licensing examination.  S/he is competent to conduct psychological testing & diagnosing, but can not write prescriptions.

A psychotherapist (1) completes two years post-graduate education to earn either a Ph.D. in psychology; or a Master's degree in Social Work/Counseling & Educational psychology/Marriage & Family Therapy; (2) completes a 2-3 year 2000 to 3000-hour clinical internship under supervision of a fully licensed psychotherapist; and takes/passes a state licensing examination in her/his discipline.  Then the licensed psychotherapist can do mental health assessment & screening, diagnosis & counseling, and make recommendations for medication application but can not write prescriptions.

A social worker has a bachelor's degree in social work; completes/passes an examination to earn a state license to practice social work; and may work in areas of child, family, or adult social services covering child or elder protection, home visitations, psychosocial rehabilitation, case management, or clerical; and may work for non-profit, private, or government agencies.